Saturday, July 31, 2010

Miami Rescue Mission



On Thursday July 29, I took my kids to the Miami Rescue Mission Women’s and Children Center. The purpose was for them to see what a homeless shelter looked like and learn to appreciate what they have at home which, they so often take for granted.

Prior to my arrival I called to make sure I was allowed to take my children and the donations I had collected. There was a very kind lady by the name of Michelle that explained that due to the privacy I would not be allowed to tour the facility but that I could remain in their lobby and turn my donations in. When we arrived, there was a woman waiting for the door to open. She was thirsty and wanted water. I almost broke down. I then met with Michelle and gave her the clothes and children’s book I had gathered from my house. She went to the back and spoke with a case manager. The case manager met with me in the lobby and introduced herself. She then allowed me to go on a mini tour to see their common areas. While touring, we met a little girl with her mom and my daughter gave her one of her drawings (I had the kids make 6 drawing each for girls and boys, not know they had 20 kids in total!!).

The cafeteria had 6 tables with chairs and their library/tv room was in the same vicinity but had wall dividers. The furniture in the media room was covered in plastic, there was only 1 television set and there were cribs and changing tables for the babies. There was a very nice play set in their backyard which was very well kept and the sleeping rooms which were located upstairs. Michelle mentioned that they currently had a full house and usually had to turn down 3-4 women with children daily. That really broke my heart.

Needless to say the ride home was in complete silence. I could tell in my children’s eyes that they were silently praying and counting their blessings. I made a promise to myself that I would take them back on a regular basis and volunteer our time.

For more information on how to become involved please visit www.miamirescuemission.com

No comments: